Budget 2014: other announcements
19th March 2014
The Chancellor George Osborne has now commended his Budget 2014 statement to the House of Commons. Here, we list some of the highlights from his speech.
- Air travel: from 2015, all long haul flights will carry the same, lower, band B tax rate and the tax charge on private jets is increased; there will be Government start-up support for new routes from regional airports
- Scottish independence: the OBR has downgraded its forecasts for North Sea oil and gas tax receipts by £3bn, which the Chancellor said was a reminder of "how precarious the budget of an independent Scotland would be."
- Right to Build: there will be £150m of Government support for people who want to build their own homes
- Flood defences: there will be £140m of additional money for flood defence repair and maintenance
- Ebbsfleet Garden City: was confirmed, with a commitment to build 15,000 new homes
- Mersey Gateway Bridge: £270 million guaranteed for this project.